[3830] TBDC KN7Y Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC KN7Y Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 14:04:29 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 30

Call: KN7Y
Operator(s): KN7Y
Station: KN7Y

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: AZ

Total:  QSOs = 70  Total Score = 204

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

>From Arizona, ran 200 watts into an Alpha-Delta 40-80-160 Inv-V up 35', and
worked most every station I could hear except for faint signals.  The band was
relatively quiet compared to other recent times however I learned that one
source of noise seems to occur each time an airliner passes overhead (our home
is in the flight path to Sky Harbor Airport).

Woke up a couple of times during the night to put about an hour in each time and
mostly H&P my way up and down the band within the bandwidth of the antenna
(about 1.800 - 1.830 mHz).  A few short CQ runs resulted in catching some
stations that I may have otherwise missed.

In all, I worked 49 Grids.  DX included Cayman Islands, Curacao, Hawaii, Mexico,
and Canada, and CQ Zones worked were 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, and 31; the reason for
noting is that I did not work the east-coast states (Zone 5), although I have
had a couple of QSO's with ops in the previous weeks from DE, CT, and other
east-coast states.

While I am a musician and have played a great number of big-band, classic rock,
country, and jazz gigs over the course of my adulthood, I still know that brief
feeling of "stage fright" before each gig that goes away while playing
the first song on stage.  On the air, I am certainly familiar with, and not shy
to call CQ.  But every once in a while, I get that bit of "stage
fright" when one of my peers comes back to my call sign.  It reminds me of
my very first DX QSO in 1970 when I was 11 and my dad was sitting next to me.
My hand was shaking as I sent CW to G5BB, Alf, from our small Michigan
hometown.

Thanks to everyone for the QSO's and fun, and Happy New Year!

73 Jack KN7Y