[3830] TBDC PJ2T(K8ND) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jmaass@k8nd.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC PJ2T(K8ND) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 12:10:49 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 30

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): K8ND
Station: PJ2T

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Curacao
Operating Time (hrs): 12.6

Total:  QSOs = 419  Total Score = 3,924

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

The local dark period started well, with many USA stations audible slightly
before twilight on Curacao, while the Sun was still fully up in the USA! First
QSO was K1LT, who I stumbled upon while looking for a CQ frequency.

Conditions were quiet and full callsigns were copied (i.e. no 'letter mining')
during most of the operating time. QRN increased for the last 1/3 of the
contest, but was not very bad. QSB became fast and deep.

Quite a few Europeans were worked, notably MANY LY station! This suggests that
the CQWW 160 Meter Contest in a month may be more interesting than feared at
this point in the sunspot cycle! No JA, no VK, no ZL.

Some weirdness: at some point in the middle of the dark period, European
stations became louder on our 880-foot USA Beverage than they were on the
1000-foot Europe Beverage. This should not happen. It's possible that the
terminating resistor on the US Beverage is no longer in place or
lightning-zapped, and the wire is behaving in a bidirectional mode.
Investigation will be done before CQWW 160 CW.

Elecraft K3S
AL-1200 @ ~1000W
Transmit Antenna: Inv-L
RX Antennas: