[3830] ARRL 10 KU2M SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 KU2M SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 23:24:55 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2023

Call: KU2M
Operator(s): KU2M
Station: KU2M

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: Wayne, NJ
Operating Time (hrs): 23.2

   CW:  776   127
  SSB:  441    99
-------------------
Total: 1217   226  Total Score = 900,836

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

We dodged the bullet this weekend as there was a 5.4 magnitude solar flare a
little past 2300Z on Friday. This would have seriously impacted the contest had
it come in the middle of the day on either Saturday or Sunday! There were
smaller magnitude flares on both days, but condx weren't bad, although there was
no JA opening on either day, at least from here inside the KU2M Triangle.

This is one of my favorites and always a fun contest, though, as 10M is the most
chimeric of the HF bands, and paths can change at any moment. The band reminds
me of Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, because "you never know what you're
going to get."

At the risk of becoming an instant flame victim, I would like to put in my two
cents worth to dream that one day, the contest might be amended so that contacts
of either mode have equal value, and if there can be greater point value for
certain QSOs, that is reserved for contacts of greater rarity, regardless of
whether you beat up your fingers or your vocal chords. Both modes have their
advantages and disadvantages, and require their requisite skill sets. Maybe I'm
missing something here, but I find that phone requires at least as much (or
more) physical effort, and studies have shown that it presents greater
challenges as a marginal communications mode - so why are phone contacts worth
half as much? (and CW is so much fun - if the original intent was to stimulate
lagging CW activity, that motivation may be somewhat anachronistic, since most
of the time, the phone band segment sounded empty compared to the CW segment)
However, I can already hear the CW chauvinists screaming, so it's time for me to
shut up - and duck. As a poet once wrote, "never the twain shall meet"
on that topic!