[3830] ARRL 10 K7RL SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K7RL SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 03:55:34 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2023

Call: K7RL
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs): ~22

   CW: 1429   113
  SSB: 1317   100
-------------------
Total: 2746   213  Total Score = 1,778,550

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Wow, that was fun! Excellent conditions all weekend, except for the (very) short
EU opening both mornings. Saturday featured our typical EU skew path to the
east, then Sunday opened direct for maybe an hour or so. It was enough to put a
few new mults in the log. Some of the signals were incredibly weak, so I
confirmed and reconfirmed the numbers. It’s a serious rate killer, but the
mults are worth it.

Turning to the online scoreboard, there was a race unfolding I didn’t foresee.
N5DX was listed prior to the contest, and I wasn’t sure where he’d be
operating (although, I was pretty sure it wasn’t the west coast). Then I saw
K5ZD throw his hat in the ring close to the starting bell. I knew it would be
tough to overcome their EU advantage, so I hoped to at least keep my score in
the ballpark. Then K7RAT (N6TR) posted late Saturday night coming in slightly
ahead of me. The race was heating up.

While waiting for the band to open Sunday morning, I saw Randy’s score
marching higher, and all I could do was watch. Later in the day, N5DX posted his
score, blowing us all out of the water. In the end, our Q totals remained
surprisingly close.

The rate was excellent on both modes and it was tough to leave one for the
other. After a mixed mode contest, I usually second guess whether I spent too
much time on one mode. This contest was no exception.

Missed WY on CW, and KH6, MT and NV on SSB. I didn’t get serious about moving
mults until Sunday (refer to paragraph four).

Happy Holidays to all!

73, Mitch, K7RL