[3830] ARRL 10 WD6T(@K6MTU) SO Mixed Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 WD6T(@K6MTU) SO Mixed Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 02:02:10 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2023

Call: WD6T
Operator(s): WD6T
Station: K6MTU

Class: SO Mixed Unlimited HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Remote Operation

   CW: 1116   121
  SSB:  404    98
-------------------
Total: 1520   219  Total Score = 1,154,568

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

On the 24-hour plane ride home from CQWW at 3B8M, I contracted Covid-19, which
knocked me out most of the week. Recovered (sort of) in time for contest, but
still coughing, so resorted to callsign voicing and VOX (couldn't get PTT set up
in time); both contributed to some audio challenges. Employed dual-mode SO2V and
occasional double-beaming. Unexpectedly surpassed last year's score by 100k,
mainly due to more mults and higher CW percentage.

EU was almost completely missing the first morning, but workable the second
morning: it started with a 70 deg. skew path, then a direct path. Managed to nab
17 EU mults and run a bit. Best opening by far was to the UK with some phone
signals booming. Then, in late morning, there was a brief Scandinavian opening.
US condx seemed better on Sunday as well; highest rate was 19z hour. Asia/Pac
was decent both afternoons, though noise when beaming that direction made
copying a challenge.

Many thanks to Kevin K6TD for his support and to the K6MTU team for this
opportunity to operate (remotely) the formidable Mount Umunhum hilltop station.
Also remembering Lance K6GSJ, who did so much to build the station and became a
SK this year.