[3830] ARRL 10 K5PI(@W5KFT) SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, robert.k5pi@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K5PI(@W5KFT) SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 01:08:27 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2023

Call: K5PI
Operator(s): K5PI
Station: W5KFT

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 26:04

   CW: 2039   140
  SSB:
-------------------
Total: 2039   140  Total Score = 1,141,840

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

76 countries, 63 states/provinces

Nice to be at W5KFT for this one.  It's hard to beat the location for low noise.
 But conditions just weren't quite gangbusters.

Friday evening looked very promising.  FT8 was jammed with stations all
afternoon.  I worked  a dozen JAs in the first hour.  But after an hour, the
band just almost folded up completely.  I kept at it for several more hours but
no real e-skip every materialized.

Saturday morning, I heard BD7MM just after our sunrise on the high antenna
pointed ESE, but I couldn't raise him.  I did S&P for a half hour or so
working the EU big guns before I felt like signals were at strong enough for a
run.  Signals weren't great, and I worked only one zone 16.  By 1600Z, I was
working mostly US stations.  That was my best hour, 158.  Saturday afternoon was
okay, but the path to Japan opened nicely, and I put 115 in the log.  But just
as with Friday night, the band folded up at 0100Z.  Again no real e-skip here.
I remember years when it would keep going to 6Z (local midnight)!

Sunday seemed more promising.  Europe signals came up quickly, and I started
running EU almost an hour earlier.  This opening was deeper, too, with more
eastern countries, but only one European Russian.  Unfortunately, the Europeans
again faded soon after the sun set in each country.  Conditions to Asia were
again good Sunday afternoon, with some nice multipliers calling in.

All in all a very enjoyable contest.  Hope to see you in the Stew Perry at the
end of the month!