[3830] ARRL 10 WS1L SO CW Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, chandlerusm@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 WS1L SO CW Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 20:59:45 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2023

Call: WS1L
Operator(s): WS1L
Station: WS1L

Class: SO CW Unlimited HP
QTH: North Adams, MA
Operating Time (hrs): 7.1

   CW:  328   100
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  328   100  Total Score = 131,200

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Elecraft K4D, KPA500 amp, Mosley PRO-67B 40-10M plus wires and a vertical.

Friday evening was disappointing - 30 minutes yielded 6 QSO's, all within about
100 miles through a combination of back-scatter, ground wave and ESP.

Saturday morning at least the band was open to EU, but most of my RBNs were in
the single digits (except for S5 and DL.)  Nothing was strong, but I managed to
get my total up to a couple of dozen QSO's before it was time to take Stacie to
a big Christmas fair in Pittsfield while I went to Home Depot.  Once I got home
I spent another hour or so with the beam pointed west, working lots of west
coast.

Sunday morning EU was better, although the best RBNs seemed to cluster around
SM, DL, the Baltics and the UK.  By lunch I had broken 100k points and was
closing in on 300 QSOs.  I spent some time getting ready for the upcoming storm,
ran the snowblower to make sure it was ready and gassed up Stacie's car.  Early
afternoon had a few EU stragglers still coming through, mostly EA and UK, but
was mostly fairly long across NA.  Lots of west coast coming in strong.  W2 and
W3 were weak but workable, and a donut-hole of no propagation across TN and KY.

By the time it started to get dark, SA was pretty well open, and even a VK and a
ZL made it into the log.

All in all not as good as I had hoped but certainly enjoyable!