[3830] ARRL 160 KT4XA(@NV4B) M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt4xa@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 KT4XA(@NV4B) M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2023 05:04:57 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2023

Call: KT4XA
Operator(s): NV4B K4CNY
Station: NV4B

Class: M/S LP
QTH: AL
Operating Time (hrs): 17:36

Total:  QSOs = 631  Sections = 70  Countries = 5  Total Score = 95,775

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

Our expectations were lowered by the weather forecast coming into this contest,
and as predicted, Friday night and early Saturday morning were a noisy mess.
With even strong signals getting buried under QRN and thunderstorms appearing to
be headed our way, we pulled the plug early on Saturday morning, and it sounded
like many others did the same.  We ended the first day with around 34,000
points, off significantly from the past two years.

There were still some static crashes Saturday night, but they were much more
tolerable, and by the end, we had gotten within 90% of our recent scores.

Conditions were generally not that great the entire contest, and this seemed to
be reflected in participation.  Several mults popped up on the Cluster for a few
minutes, then disappeared before we had a chance to work them.  Except for some
of the VE sections, namely TER and some of the former MAR sections, I think all
of the other sections were spotted at some point.  We worked all states except
AK, ID, and WA.  The few Caribbean/Central American DX stations had decent
signals; nothing outside NA was heard.

Our apologies to those we heard calling but couldn't pull out of the noise.  We
believe we were heard fairly well on our new inverted-L (apex at 85' with four
full-length ground radials), but between the thunderstorm QRN, some intermittent
line noise, and lack of a good receiving antenna -- our 100' loop-on-ground was
really only effective for close-in "NVIS"-sounding signals -- we know
we lost a good number of callers.