[3830] ARRL 160 K4HQK Single Op Limited-Ant LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwfuller@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K4HQK Single Op Limited-Ant LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 22:58:28 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2023

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Single Op LP
Class Overlay: Limited-Ant
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 16.5

Total:  QSOs = 140  Sections = 32  Countries = 2  Total Score = 9,724

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Friday night was full of activity, including a lot of strong signals scattered
around the Eastern U.S. Although my "Limited Antenna" generally
prevents hearing beyond the Mississippi,I was pleased with the number of
working EU, but nothing was heard. I didn't even hear any working the West Coast
or Caribbean.

Saturday night the contest seemed to have fewer participants and of those, lots
of dupes. We possibly had weaker band conditions. And so, my QSO rate dropped
rather sharply. But having heard no DX Friday, I was pleased to connect with
ZF2VE and a very patient PJ2T, who eventually responded when QSB slacked off and
my signal came up.

Despite my station's limitations, I always enjoy 160m. There's just something
about it--maybe being so near to the AM broadcast band--that fascinates me.
Early in my broadcast career I started out at stations on 1240 and 740 kHz, so I
guess AM RF is in my blood :-)

John K4HQK
Alexandria, VA
Icom 7410 at 100w--more power than that and I would have lit up every home
appliance in the neighborhood. Antenna: one-half of a 20' high 80m dipole.