[3830] ARRL 160 W1DYJ SO Unlimited Limited-Ant LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, larryb.w1dyj@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W1DYJ SO Unlimited Limited-Ant LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 20:54:22 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2023

Call: W1DYJ
Operator(s): W1DYJ
Station: W1DYJ

Class: SO Unlimited LP
Class Overlay: Limited-Ant
QTH: EMA

Total:  QSOs = 104  Sections = 31  Countries = 0  Total Score = 6,386

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

160 is one of the two bands of current interest: bands where I don't
have either WAS or DXCC, the other being 6m. So 160 contests are of
special interest.  Of course, 160 is also where I have my worst antenna.
Check below for how sub-optimal it is.  I need HI, AK, and WA for WAS
and 17 more countries for DXCC.  Between the high SFI, the solar storm
on Friday night, and my minimal antenna, my goals were meager.  Results
were about as I expected.

My 10th attempt at this one.  Five of these were from my (no longer
owned) place in Harpswell ME where I used this same 160/75 dipole.
These contests were reasonably OK -- but the antenna was straight,
higher than it is now, and about 200' from salt water.

Anyway, I beat my two worst scores!  The conditions did not encourage
me to spend a lot of time in the chair.  Perhaps the Stew will be
better.  I did pick up one new state on 160: MO.  All S/C&P.

Rig: TS-590SG
Actual BIC = 4:04 hours  (Classic "60 minute" time = 8:18)
Antenna:  my 160 "dipole" is part of a fan dipole that
           has evolved over the past 15+ years.  It's really a
           hodge-podge.  A trapped 80/40/30 [SE-NW] AND a
           trapped 160/75 [S-N, with the north end turning
           a few times to fit in the yard] -- 35' at center,
           between 25' and 15' at the various ends.  My
           back yard is small, and I have no tall trees.
           HOWEVER: any antenna is better than no antenna!!!
Logger: N3FJP 160 Meter Contest Log Ver 5.0.6

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ