[3830] ARRL 160 KE3K SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bashrc4@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 KE3K SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 17:08:53 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2023

Call: KE3K
Operator(s): KE3K
Station: KE3K

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: MI

Total:  QSOs = 260  Sections = 60  Countries = 3  Total Score = 33,327

Club: Blossomland ARA

Comments:

I’ve spent the past few weekends working in some crummy Michigan weather to
try and restore my 160 loop for the contest season. Although it seemed to
perform well, based on a lot of the guy’s comments, band conditions appeared
to be even more challenging this year. I seriously thought my K9AY RX loop was
broken as well until I saw similar comments; reception of stations was weak at
best. I ended up using my 160 loop for receiving too and just let the 7610 do
it’s magic to reduce the noise to tolerable conditions.

My efforts at restoring the loop however, seemed to have paid off. Even with the
poor band conditions, and low Q count, I managed to reach all states except AK,
ID, WA, WY, picked up 8 of the 14 Canadian mults, and a few DX entities. I
didn’t get a chance to participate Friday evening. I wasn’t up to doing any
runs Saturday night, so remained S&P and ended up with about half the Q’s
that I normally would have had in the log.

I’m hoping to participate in more contests over the winter. And, I’ve missed
hearing a lot of familiar callsigns! I try to average 15-20 annually but between
work and home life this year, and plain old butt-in-chair burn out, I just
haven’t been motivated to spend my entire weekends in front of the equipment.

My gear for this operating event:
ICOM IC-7610
160 Meter loop at 30-60 ft.
K9AY RX loop
N1MM+ Logger

Thank you everyone for the Qs and see you throughout this winter contest
season!

73,
Bob, KE3K