[3830] ARRL 160 KI9A SO Unlimited Limited-Ant HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, chuckschneebeli@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 KI9A SO Unlimited Limited-Ant HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 14:39:26 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2023

Call: KI9A
Operator(s): KI9A
Station: KI9A

Class: SO Unlimited HP
Class Overlay: Limited-Ant
QTH: il

Total:  QSOs = 286  Sections = 53  Countries = 6  Total Score = 34,810

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Had Holiday stuff going on. Not much time. Spent a little under 4 hours on,
99.9% running. Managed a 116 hour. Like others have said, just weird condx...I
have worked this contest all but 2 years since 1994, and never saw it as bad. I
would say 50% of my qso's were at the noise level(which was S8 here, no RX
antenna). Even with poor condx, its still alot of fun. CW just sounds better on
top band!

Just disconnected the balun from my EFHW L, and tossed a couple radials out. RBN
shows I was being heard pretty well, and, got the Carrib DX on the first call
with a KW.

Had a K8 zero beat me calling CQ at around 24 WPM. No QRL? And, he was loud
enough I know he heard me, and, he just didn't pop out due to changing band
condx. I had room, so I moved down a couple hundred hz. So did he. I moved up
500hz. So did he. So, I just clamped the 100hz filter and kept running, and
working guys under him. I would move just 100hz away (close enough that he
didn't know).  Never heard of his call, so obviously not a real contester. Not
sure if I could have manged this with out the Flexradio!

73 and hope to see you all on 10 meters next week!

Chuck KI9A