[3830] ARRL 160 N5OT SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N5OT SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 13:43:44 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2023

Call: N5OT
Operator(s): N5OT
Station: N5OT

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: OK
Operating Time (hrs): 26h

Total:  QSOs = 947  Sections = 80  Countries = 18  Total Score = 194,138

Club: TBA (Topbanders Anonymous)

Comments:

I always look forward to this contest.  This year the stars aligned and things
went pretty great.  What strange conditions the first night!

N5OT is currently in second place behind Jon, AA1K, on the Contest Online
Scoreboard, but unfortunately that will remain pretty meaningless until more or
all competitors get with the program on that.  We just have to wait at this
point to see how the actual top-10 fleshes out.  There were some great races on
the scoreboard, and we owe a lot to Victor VA2WA for making this such a fun game
in later years.

Victor, I am not sure I would have worked so hard if I had not known how tight
the race was.  Thank you for the inspiration.

Thank might look like a generic friendly comment to a casual reader, but VA2WA
and I were about 4 QSOs apart at 1000Z this morning, and all I can say is I'm
glad the sun rises sooner in Quebec than in Oklahoma!

I will be doing the extended write-up for the contest sponsor (my 5th time!),
and if you have any good anecdotes you want to pursue for the article, feel free
to get in contact with me.

Thanks everyone for the QSOs!

73 - Mark N5OT

Here's what I used for the contest:

Radio:     a single Icom 746 PRO driving the amp with 50 watts
Amplifier: a very old Viewstar running 1100 watts output
Antenna:   a 48 foot mast with some top load wires above a decent radial bed

No receive antennas
The Viewstar has a bunch of N6TR's molecules still in it