[3830] ARRL 160 K9MMS SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9mms@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K9MMS SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 08:11:47 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2023

Call: K9MMS
Operator(s): K9MMS
Station: K9MMS

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 10.5

Total:  QSOs = 572  Sections = 71  Countries = 7  Total Score = 90,870

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

K4D + AL-80B
TX: INV-L  ;  RX: Hi-Z 23, 3 el, 90 degs., NE,SE,SW,NW.

The goals were:  over 500 QSOs, Maximize DX, Maximize sections, and work all 50
states.  Only the first goal was realized.  DX was extremely sparse and so were
some usual sections.  (I had worked 25 DXCC entities on 160 meters in the CQ WW
DX CW event a week ago.)

I have operated nearly every year in this contest since about 1995.  The
conditions in this running were about the worst that I recall in all that time.
On both nights, many signals were weak and there was often rapid, deep QSB, thus
requiring repeats (sorry for that on the affected QSOs) -- this almost seemed to
be the norm for over half of the stations worked.

The first night, the band seemed to be in extra poor condition.  Very little DX
-- only Caribbean and XE -- no EU.  Almost nothing heard from W6 and W7-lands.
Normally later at night, top-band will open to most all of western USA.  Also
sometimes, following the grayline, sunrise sweep across EU might allow a number
of EU QSOs -- this never materialized here on both nights.

On the second night, things started slowly and it seemed to be looking like a
repeat of the previous night.  Later the band opened to W6 and W7 areas, still
not great, but I was finally able to hear and work several of the western US
mults plus VE4, VE6, and VE7.

Missed WAS by 4 states: WA, ID (WJ9B was in NFL), WY, and AK.  Worked KH6AQ
shortly after seeing it spotted.  Saw several KL7 spots (KL7KY and KL7SB, but
could never hear them Saturday night).  Also missed several VE sections.

Thanks for the Qs, Ms, and fun (somtimes not so much this time).
73,
   Gary . K9MMS