[3830] CQWW CW W4EF SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, W4EF@dellroy.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W4EF SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 00:43:50 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: W4EF
Operator(s): W4EF
Station: W4EF

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 18:50
Remote Operation

  160:   10     7        8
   80:   35    14       22
   40:   78    28       54
   20:  101    32       77
   15:  146    29       82
   10:  139    33       76
------------------------------
Total:  509   143      319  Total Score = 653,268

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: Elecraft K3S + Alpha 87A
Antennas: 20/15/10M Spiderbeam at 50ft; 40M Inv-V at 45ft; 80/160M 55ft Vert
(Tx), SAL-30 Shared Apex Loop Array (RX).

Started out casually on Friday evening watching DX Summit on my web browser for
interesting QSOs. I think I only made 34 QSOs the first night. I pulled the plug
around 0900 UTC and didn't get back on until almost 1600Z. I made some
additional QSOs on Saturday morning, but conditions were weird with Europe
skewed E/SE on 10 meters. I put in a few hours and then did other stuff for 5
hours.

On Saturday night I decided I would try the "point and shoot" method
of the assisted category, so I started a telnet window in N1MM. I just have a
inverted-V at 45ft on 40 meters, so I was surprised that I was able to make some
headway with some of the Eastern European CQ machines. Oddly enough at that same
time Western European stations on 40 seemed weak and harder to work. I was
hoping that they might get better as we approached their sunrise, but they never
really did.

Early Sunday morning on 40, 80, and to some extent 160 were the most
frustrating. The EMI situation in Southeast Asia must be downright horrible. I
couldn't believe some extremely loud stations in that part of the world simply
couldn't hear me at all.

I had intended to devote some of the weekend to catching up on some of the
backlog of work at my day job, but I got enough momentum in the contest on
Saturday night and Sunday morning to put that plan on hold. Mainly I wanted to
see if I could generate a respectable multiplier total across as many bands as
possible without too much regard to QSO total. I really had a blast picking off
multipliers Sunday morning and again in the afternoon. It was a target rich
environment.

It would have been fun to put in a more serious effort in-person with my hand on
the VFO knob instead of being a remote mouse jockey, but I am glad I at least
had a chance to get my callsign into a few logs.

See you next time.