[3830] CQWW CW TK4W M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dk6sp@gmx.de
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW TK4W M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2023 23:55:05 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: TK4W
Operator(s): DJ2MX DJ4MX DK2CX DK6SP F5SNJ HA8RT
Station: TK4W

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: JN42JO
Operating Time (hrs): 45h00

  160:  714    12       62
   80: 1755    29      100
   40: 2201    35      118
   20: 1122    32      111
   15: 1961    36      122
   10: 1586    33      120
------------------------------

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

The TK4W Story

After slowly assembling our equipment for the upcoming DXpedition to 8R - Guyana
in February 2024 (https://8r-2024.com/) over the past months, it was time for a
final "ON-AIR" test.

When we learned that S50C would not be active as TK0C this year but would be QRV
from the Cape Verde Islands, we quickly agreed on a small M/2 activity as TK4W
from Corsica. An international team led by 3 out of 4 of 8R-DXpeditioners DJ4MX,
DK6SP, and HA8RT, along with DJ2MX, DK2CX, and F5SNJ, was quickly formed. After
finding a good AirBnB location near the TK0C QTH, booking the ferry from
Livorno, and gathering all the necessary equipment, we set off for Italy last
Tuesday evening. The callsign, inspired by the last BCC activity in 2011, was
promptly organized by F5SNJ. So, we were well-prepared for our Corsican
venture.

Shortly after the Brenner Pass, we enjoyed our first good coffee, and everything
was still going well. However, upon arriving at the port in Livorno early in the
morning, things took a turn for the worse. Due to bad weather in Bastia, we
couldn't sail and spent the night in Vada instead. Over pizza and beer, we
discussed how to handle the lost setup day. Since we had set up and tested our
equipment enough times before, we were confident that everything could be done
in one day with the available resources.

So, when we arrived late Thursday evening at the QTH near Calvi on the north
coast of Corsica, we quickly pre-assembled the Hexbeam and finished wiring the
two stations in the house. After a relatively short night, we started early in
the morning around 06:30 with the Lowband Verticals for 160m and 80m. After a
few thorns in the calf, all planned radials were in place, and we continued with
the assembly of the Hex- and Spiderbeam. These two antennas were also set up
without any issues. Finally, we placed our 40m Vertical by the sea and connected
the BOG receiving antenna. Fortunately, the mammoth project of assembling all
antennas in just one day worked out. Exhausted from the day, the first shift
took a few hours of rest, and the final touches were made to the station. We
were QRV with two signals at 00:00 UTC... but not for long.

As it sometimes happens on the coast, there can be gusts of wind. Despite
precautions with not fully extended and overlapping masts, we discovered a bent
mast with the Spiderbeam and a Hexbeam repeatedly folding in the wind just
before sunrise. To prevent further damage, both antennas were taken down from
their respective masts. Unfortunately, one aluminum mast had to be shortened by
about 1.5m. The second mast received the balun from the Spiderbeam, and the
three dipoles for 10/15/20m were added as emergency antennas. These were then
supplied with HF using our triplexer. With this improvised setup, we were active
on the high bands until around Sunday noon ... and it worked quite well! The
other antennas performed well and withstood the consistently present wind. On
Sunday afternoon, we reinstalled our 3-band Spiderbeam on the dipole mast, this
time with even more overlap. Fortunately, the wind stopped blowing just in
time.

The dismantling on Monday was rather uneventful. All salt layers on masts and
guy ropes were roughly removed and loaded back into the two cars. However,
during the dismantling of the 40m Vertical, we received an SMS from Corsica
Ferries canceling our planned ferry back to Italy on Tuesday morning. So, we
extended our vacation, AirBnb, and rental car, and enjoyed another day in
Corsica. Since all antennas were already taken down, DJ2MX's SOTA equipment and
a Vertical for 15/40m were hastily set up. This allowed us to log a few more
QSOs in our TK/Homecall logs.

In summary, fortunately, not much went wrong, and the station performed
exceptionally well. We will now repair and pack the equipment as necessary and
sensible for the upcoming departure to 8R - Guyana.

An upload to LOTW will be done soon. If you want to receive a QSL card from the
activity, you'll have to be patient for a bit. We are working on a design and
will soon open the Clublog OQRS.

RIG: 2x ICOM IC-7610, 2x Amplifier, 160m L, V80, 40m L/4, Hexbeam (20/15/10),
Spiderbeam (20/15/10), Dipoles (20/15/10)

Many thanks to all sponsors and supporters (https://8r-2024.com/sponsors/).

On behalf of the TK4W team we would like to thank you once again for the many
calls, it was a real pleasure to represent the TK Multiplier on the bands.

–
73 de Team TK4W