[3830] CQWW CW CW5W(N5ZO) SOSB10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, marko.n5zo@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW CW5W(N5ZO) SOSB10 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 18:48:58 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: CW5W
Operator(s): N5ZO
Station: CX6VM

Class: SOSB10 HP
QTH: Cerro Largo
Operating Time (hrs): 43+

   10: 4940    36      122
------------------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

This operation was couple years in making as we discussed with Jorge CX6VM via
email and then finally met during WRTC in Italy this summer where final plans
were formed to come down and operate CW contest from his station from zone 13
which was one of the CQ zones I had not yet operated the CQWW contest from.  Due
to some broken rotators and antennas we decided that 10 m single band entry
would be best, and I actually think I was able to make just as many QSOs on
single band as I would have been able to do in All Band category effort from CX.
  During weeks prior the contest Jorge replaced his big 60 m high tower and he
was able to complete re-installing 6 el 10 m Optibeam monobander at top of that
tower for this contest.  It was indeed great antenna to use for Long Path to
Asia and beyond.  In addition there was 3x5 els fixed stack to US and also 3x5
els stack to Europe with top antenna of it rotating also.  So there were plenty
of weapons to use and beam multiple directions in same time.  I travelled to CX
over land border from PY and met Jorge actually in Bage, small city about 60 km
on Brazilian side.  Right after we arrived to station on Tuesday before the
contest we had huge storm pass through and power was out for a day or so but
fortunately nothing fell down from towers and everything worked fine during the
weekend.  I brought some gear from my home station and I was able to use 2 K3
radios Jorge had in SO2V configuration.  This allowed me to tune other radio at
same time I was running, to find unworked stations elsewhere on band.

Stretch goal was to try to make new 10 m world record.  At the end I could not
quite get there mainly due to lack of multipliers especially in Caribean/Central
America but it is new QSO record of any single band in WW CW.  Im sure I missed
few countries but I did work everything I heard and did not need to waste time
busting pileups, I usually got throug with couple calls.  I had European
multipliers very well covered already after 1st day.  Conditions were great
especially 1st day and it only slowed to crawl for couple hrs 1st nite as I only
got 20 Qs into log.  2nd nite was slower and I slept for 3 hours and still went
another 1.5 hrs before band started to open.

Most memorable QSO was busting huge 7O73T pileup with couple calls via long path

over Pacific, China and India all the way to horn of Africa.  Other memory is
what's with dupes...  I worked another 248 duplicates !

Jorges station really gets out and Im grateful for the opportunity to come down
here, it was contest to remember and we had great time.  It was also my 37th
zone to operate CQWW contest from and 40 zones lifetime goal is very close now.
73 and tnx for QSOs de Marko N5ZO