[3830] CQWW CW N8II SOSB10 Classic LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, HARTLEY145@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N8II SOSB10 Classic LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 21:11:24 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB10 LP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 21:53

   20:   40    15       30
   15:
   10: 1011    30      107
------------------------------
Total: 1011    30      107  Total Score = 418,672

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

20M was wild in the 01Z hour, E2X S9+25db, loud EU and AF. Everyone north of the
E-W line had flutter and buzz.

10 was pleasantly good to the Pacific and to SA at the start. FW, 5W, and ZL7
went into the log along with several Aussies. Saturday morning 7O73T had a S7
signal near the bottom of the band and was my first QSO of the morning. The
solar storm had its effect with some strong signals from the Mediterranean but
few north of there until 1344Z when I started a decent EU run with many Germans.
DL is an excellent benchmark of whether or not I am able to run EU well, no DL =
no high rate. There were very few northern EU logged all day, but good activity
from Central and W EU. My best hour was 107 in the 14Z hour. Run frequencies
were pretty clear. A 9A1 had spurious tones at least 1 KHz either side of his
signal which caused some trouble. By 17Z EU was rapidly fading out, and I
started looking for AF, SA, and Caribbean all of which were loud. Late afternoon
into early evening there was sporadic E to the south allowing QSO's with C6 and
VP9. When I worked VA7DX at 1835Z, he was weak and very fluttery, later loud and
clear. TF3SG was loud with flutter at 2151Z. The band was closed to JA until
after my return from dinner working the first at 2254Z, I had a short JA run
around 2330Z and they were nearly gone by 24Z.

Sunday, after a few minutes of searching out a fairly clear frequency, I found
one low in the band and had nearly perfect run conditions with nothing but low
noise within the Rx pass band and just the right amount of EU callers, not too
many to slow things down. It was my best day 2 run I can ever recall, with rates
of 156 in 13Z hour, 116 14Z, and 90 15Z. All 3 hours were better Sunday. Best 10
minute rate was 186. Northern EU signals were good, but the Russian border was
about the limit of strong signals, just a few of them logged. I sacrificed
hunting mults for the good rate. I never heard 4X or zone 21 except for 4L8A too
weak to work all weekend. EU was nearly gone by 1730Z, not many worked past 17Z.
The rest of the contest, I only managed 53 Q's, most stations already in the
log. The JA opening was somewhat better, but activity pretty low and it started
and died out about and hour earlier than Saturday; I missed some of the peak.
RT0F was booming in at 2215Z, took a while to break through pile up, then I
found AH2R for another double mult as well. By 2308Z, the JA's were nearly gone
and everyone was fading.

The CQWW high activity level and Dxpeditions make for a lot of contest fun. Many
thanks for all of the calls and QSO's and hope to see you in the ARRL 10M
contest and next year's WW.

73, Jeff