[3830] CQWW CW VE3NNT SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, lesbrown@sympatico.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE3NNT SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 21:22:20 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: VE3NNT
Operator(s): VE3NNT
Station: VE3NNT

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: FN14cm
Operating Time (hrs): 27
Remote Operation

  160:   46    10       12
   80:  401    19       70
   40:  582    27       85
   20:  373    33       80
   15:  312    23       75
   10:  371    23       80
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

It was bad timing for me. I had a meeting that I had to attend in Geneva
starting Monday November 20. Normally, I would fly out Saturday evening, but
that would mean that I could only operate until Saturday 5 pm. So, I finally
decided to try to operate from my hotel room in Geneva using my Flex Maestro,
laptop and paddle. I flew out Thursday evening and arrived Friday
mid-afternoon.

My son and grand daughter visited us 2 days before my flight. She's 2 years old
and in day care. Everyone in daycare was sick. So, by Thursday I was also sick.

I arrived in Geneva jet lagged and trying to recover from a bad cold. I just
wasn't up to a full time effort. I was falling asleep before the contest
started, at 1 am Geneva time.

I operated over the hotel Wi-Fi network, which held up surprisingly well,
although I had to deal with the higher latency, averaging 120 ms.

It was good to see 10m open so well for so long, and so quiet, S1 noise floor. I
still have a noise problem on 15m. It's S7 if I point the beam south west.
Luckily, I found that if I pointed the beam to a bearing of 60 degrees the noise
was just above S3, which was quite usable. However, there were a lot of callers
just at my noise floor that I couldn't pull out, especially with the QSB. I was
happy and surprised to see that 80m was so quiet with just a steady S5 noise, no
static crashes. 40m was also nice and quiet.

The one thing I should have brought was a good headset. Instead I only had my
Bose noise QC2 ear buds. Everything sounded tinny and distorted, which made
copying mode challenging. I just checked the impedances and I see that the
earbuds are 2200 Ohms but the Maestro wants to see 10 to 32 Ohms. No wonder it
sounded so bad. It also exp0lains why I had to crank up the volume on the
Maestro to 100% to hear the weak signals on 10m.

There was a lot of activity and I never ran out of stations to work. My best
runs were actually later in the contest. I didn't spend enough time on 20m. I
was just having so much fun on 10m and 15m.

Next year I'll be fully retired and I'll plan to operate full time from my
cottage station directly.

I love this contest, but time is against me. As I get older, it gets so much
more difficult to stay up 40 hours without sleep.