[3830] CQWW CW K8CN SOAB Classic LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K8CN@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K8CN SOAB Classic LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 01:42:34 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: SOAB LP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: NH

  160:    6     2        2
   80:   36     8       18
   40:   91    13       41
   20:  121    18       55
   15:  144    21       63
   10:  108    16       51
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I had hoped to be operating as part of the team at K1RX
again this year, but it was not to be.  My XYL had a
disabling knee injury just before Thanksgiving and needed
my help on a 24/7 basis. Since my single low wire doublet
is in sorry shape, I elected to run LP instead of my
customary QRP entry.  The propagation conditions and
excellent CW ops on the other end made that combination
both feasible and fun.

A new local power line arc noise made copying difficult
on all bands, the RFI ranging from S9 + 10 dB on 80 meters
to S5 on 10 meters. Many signals heard here were at
the local noise floor.  In the past I've rarely used
the Noise Reduction filtering on my receiver, but
it made several Qs possible for very weak signals
on all bands.

This was a 100% S&P effort - I tried to run a few
times when conditions seemed to justify it, but those
were unproductive and a waste of the limited time
I had available.

Many thanks to the FB ops who worked to put me in
their logs!

73,
Mike, K8CN

Rig: K3 (now with newly installed 100 watt PA module!);
135 foot long doublet up about 25 feet at its
center, one leg draped in a big U to within 10 feet of
the ground, the other sloping from the center to about
10 feet above the ground. I sure miss my big Lazy H!