[3830] CQWW CW W1DYJ SO(A)AB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, larryb.w1dyj@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W1DYJ SO(A)AB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 22:10:58 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: W1DYJ
Operator(s): W1DYJ
Station: W1DYJ

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: EMA

  160:    4     3        3
   80:   64     9       33
   40:  124    15       57
   20:  126    23       62
   15:  144    23       69
   10:  173    25       82
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

My 10th attempt at what I now believe is the best contest.  Even with my meager
abilities with hearing CW, being assisted (mostly C&P) allows me to verify
every
call before replying and means I don't have to type, my other non-ability.

Last year was a "personal best" (PB) for me, and with the low SFI over
the
previous weeks and threat of a "sun storm" I set a modest goal of a
10%
increase over last year: 600K Points and 600 Qs.  My stretch goal was to
achieve a "real" BIC time of 20 hours. (Not the official 60-minute
time.)

Was I wrong!

The SFI recovered and the K index of 6 really was not an extreme detriment.
Yes, "over the pole" Qs had all of that Aurora quality, but were still
OK.
The propagation on 15 was so good that I heard echos from LP: my 15m rotatable
dipole obviously has no F/R.  (I keep it because it also works "OK" on
12 & 17 for DX.)  Last year was a PB on both 15 & 10 >> this year
I essentially doubled
my Qs on both bands!

Some final statistics:
   * One 6-band station: 9A1A
   * Twelve 5-band stations
   * Four new countries on CW (new DX Challenge counters)
   * Ten new countries on 10m CW

All in all -- a fun and engaging contest!  I met my 600K and 600 Q goals.
I still spent only about 17 "real" hours in the chair.  Will next year
be better???

Rig: TS-590SG
Actual BIC = 16:43 hours  (Classic "60 minute" time = 22:10 hours)
98% "C&P"
Antennas:
   Upper HF - Roof Tower
          10:  HB 5el yagi @ 30ft
          15:  HB Rotatable Dipole @ 33ft
          20:  HB Moxon @ 36ft
   160/80/40  HB Fan dipole: trapped 80/40/30 [SE-NW] AND trapped
           160/75 [S-N, with North end turning a few times to
           fit in the yard] -- 35' at center, between 25' and 15' at
           the various ends (a small back yard!)
Logger: N3FJP Contest Log V 6.0.5

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ