[3830] CQWW CW K9WX SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K9WX SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 14:19:13 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: K9WX
Operator(s): K9WX
Station: K9WX

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Indiana
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   10     9        3
   80:   55    12       29
   40:  186    22       66
   20:  100    23       52
   15:  129    23       63
   10:  197    21       71
------------------------------
Total:  677   108      284  Total Score = 709,925

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

CQ WW CW is my second least-favorite contest.  I hear all these loud stations
that I can’t work for QSO points, and I don’t like that.  Plus, I can’t be
competitive given my limited antennas.  So, I have rarely operated the contest
except to search for new DXCC Challenge markers.

But it seems that the new SMC Medal Program and Leader Board have caused 500 or
200 QSOs to become tipping points for many of us, and that was the case for me
this weekend.

I elected to operate at high power to make it as painless as possible, which for
me means 500 watts.  I tried calling CQ several times with no takers, so 100% of
my QSOs were S&P, no second radio.  Although N1MM says I ended up operating
16 hours, it was still a casual approach with many breaks that did not trip the
60-minute break counter in N1MM.  Actual chair time was probably much less than
16 hours.

Saturday’s aural flutter was an odd experience.  We are used to hearing that
on stations with polar routes.  But on the Cubans?

However, Sunday morning was a dandy, working lots of JAs with relative ease.  I
even worked 4 new DXCC Challenge markers, one of which is already confirmed in
LOTW.  I count this as a weekend of time well-spent.

My least-favorite contest?  CQ WW Phone!

Alpha Delta DX-CC dipole
Butternut HF9V
Cushcraft A503S
Flex 6600