[3830] CQWW CW WB0TEV SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW WB0TEV SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 04:00:45 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: WB0TEV
Operator(s): WB0TEV
Station: WB0TEV

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: NTX
Operating Time (hrs): 27:23

  160:    9     7        7
   80:   71    20       66
   40:   87    30       85
   20:   97    32       93
   15:  112    31      108
   10:  117    33      113
------------------------------
Total:  493   153      472  Total Score = 834,375

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

Shack gear: TS-590SG, KPA1500 Amp, Heil Pro7 Headset, N1MM+, QSORDER
TX Antennas: Mosley PRO67B at 63 feet for 10/15/20/40,  Full size ¼ vertical
with thirty 100 foot long radials for 80m, Shunt fed tower for 160 (in which
something failed here Sunday)
RX Antennas: 3 Bev-Flex4 reversible Beverages.  600 foot long for 40°/220°,
720 foot long for 319°/139° and 460 foot long for 90°/270°.

Not being a very confident CW op, this was 100 per cent search and pounce and
with the exception of a couple QSOs on 80m where I wanted to exercise the newly
erected 80m vertical, every QSO was a new multiplier.

Saturday I noticed what I presume was auroral flutter on lots of signals
traversing the polar region.  Not nearly as notable on Sunday. Otherwise
propagation was the best I’d seen in years.  Nice not to have everyone packed
into 20m and down and to hear the whole planet on 10m and not just South
America.

Surprisingly I was able to work all zones except 23 and 34.  Was there even
anyone on from Zone 34?  I consider myself lucky to have worked a VU on 20m to
get Zone 22.  Overall, I worked 128 countries and made DXCC on both 15m(108) and
10m(113).  153 total band zones and 472 band country slots.  Even managed to
pick up a couple new ones I needed for DXCC on 80m: C37N and 3B8M.

In this outing, the higher the frequency, the greater the number of QSOs
(bearing in mind I was only working new mults).  It’s not every year when the
band with the most mults worked is 10m.

Other than for a few QSOs were I ONCE AGAIN forgot to start QSORDER, I recorded
all the QSOs and you can hear how you signals sounded here northeast of Dallas
by going to my qrz.com page, plugging your callsign into the widget, calling up
your QSOs and hitting the play button.

There was no 160m activity here the second night.  The VSWR on the shunt fed
tower went way up and Murphy apparently came calling. Its time that got retired
anyway.  I’m going to try to have a 160m Inverted L offset from the 80m
vertical over the big radial field installed in time for ARRL 160 next weekend,
weather permitting.

Total time on was 27.4 hours.  Didn’t do much after Sunday morning.  The
number of new mults available diminished and I had some competing activities.

Thanks to all the amateurs around the world who got on and filled the airwaves.

73,
Victor WB0TEV