[3830] CQWW CW VP5M(K4QPL) SOAB Classic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4qpl2@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VP5M(K4QPL) SOAB Classic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 02:18:20 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: VP5M
Operator(s): K4QPL
Station: VP5/K4QPL

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: VP5
Operating Time (hrs): 24.2

  160:  120     9       14
   80:  231    11       42
   40:  553    22       67
   20:  878    23       71
   15:  499    28       68
   10:  405    22       58
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I started last years soapbox with"What a fun contest!" This year I can
only say, "What a crazy contest."
This year I had better low band antennas (big shout out to Guy, K2AV, who
engineered fine tuning of the 160 inverted L and an inverted L for 80M). Both
were improved from last year and we have plans for even better on 80m for future
contests.
I think conditions were even better than last year with the high bands open to
the world at almost the same time for hours on end.
And, for the first time I went high power (500 watts) to play with the big
boys.

So what could go wrong and what's crazy?

I learned last year that my mult count was low and my Q count high which cost me
in the final points. In classic overlay there's no spots and only one radio. So
I did it the old fashioned way. Ran to get mults on 80 and 160. Probably stayed
too long there enjoying the new antennas. Then I S&P'd through the other
bands to grab the mults I missed before. Boy was I successful doing that. Mult
count way up. Again, I probably spent too much time doing that as my Q total was
down by more than 700 and overall 100k points down.

Finally, my lack of hardball pileup skills,wide-band ears and insufficient
memory database caught up with me big time. Extra power and great conditions
attracted swarms of callers to my single-chance VP5 mult like flies to S_______!
20-30 callers on or near my frequency made my little off frequency tuning
ineffective from my method with LP. I simply cannot handle 20 or 30 caller
pileups that go from huge to unmanageable. My rate would drop from 300 in a
moderate pileup to 150 or less trying to sort out the QRM and almost always only
getting a partial. At one point on 15M I gave up, in my head told everyone where
to go, and went back to S&P where I could get a rate around 100 dropping the
VP5M call and clearing my headache.
Maybe next year I can compromise my strategy, improve my skills, and get back to
a fun contest.
73 and thanks to everyone for hanging in there in the pileups and my apologies
to those of you I never got in the log.
Jim K4QPL  VP5M