[3830] CQWW CW LU3MG SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW LU3MG SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 00:43:56 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: LU3MG
Operator(s): LU3MG
Station: LU3MG

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Mendoza
Operating Time (hrs): 31:25

   40:  191    15       31
   20:  488    26       55
   15:  382    25       75
   10: 1271    30       99
------------------------------

Club: LU Contest Group

Comments:

The contest started quickly; the idea was to test SO2R with two teams at 100W of
power. Everything was almost ready until Murphy's law intervened, and I couldn't
finish configuring it. With less than an hour remaining, I decided to switch to
AB HP mode, working the bands allowed by my antennas (12/15/20 and 40M). This
was at 1000 watts of power, using both VFOs of my radio and two keyboards. We
worked in what is called SO2V, which isn't quite SO2R but improves the number of
stations worked per unit of time.

As usual, considering the time when the contest starts in the LU zone, we began
on the 10-meter band, contacting stations from the USA, the occasional European
approaching from the east, and then many, many Japanese stations, something I
hadn't seen—or rather heard—in a long time.

As time passed, we jumped between bands, ultimately ending up on 40 meters with
less-than-ideal conditions. These conditions improved the next day in the early
morning, allowing us to make nearly 200 contacts, the majority with American
stations and a few Europeans.

The standout band where I exceeded 1000 contacts was 10 meters, which opened
like a Swiss clock on both days, allowing me to make the difference. The same
couldn't be said for 15 meters, which was conspicuously absent on Saturday but
opened on Sunday afternoon, adding some Europeans and many Americans to the
log.

On the other hand, 20 meters was very productive on Friday/Saturday night, but
not so on Sunday. We ended the contest on 10 meters, adding a few multipliers
and grouping stations from the USA.

The participation of Brazilian stations was relatively low, which surprised me
since they are usually highly present in international contests, especially
given their abundance in South America compared to other countries in the
region.

In contrast, several Argentine contest stations joined (LS2D, LP1H, LT1F, and
LU8DPM), along with more modest stations like LU1WUD Rik, LU6OA, LW1F, etc.

In conclusion, it was a fun contest, as W contests tend to be—dynamic and,
above all, challenging for the operator. The winner is the one who spends the
most hours in the chair and accumulates better skills over time. We added
several interesting entities for the DXCC and made many friends whom we greeted
during these 48 hours of operation.

Thanks to all the friends who shared their QSO. See you in the next contest!

73 TU...
Seba LU3MG.