[3830] SS SSB WB0TEV SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB WB0TEV SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 22:31:30 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: WB0TEV
Operator(s): WB0TEV
Station: WB0TEV

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NTX
Operating Time (hrs): 8:03

  160:    0

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

Given that there was too much rare DX on this weekend that I really wanted to
catch, I gave up the idea of going a hard core full 24 hours and decided to just
have fun, and isn’t that really the whole point?

And so it was that Saturday night I bailed on SS to join the hordes calling PR0T
on 30m FT8.  After a couple hours I finally was pulled from that enormous
multi-continent pile around 0351Z, got the coveted RR73 on my screen and then
went back to Sweepstakes.

Last month I finished assembling and erecting a DX Engineering DXE-7580FS-VA-1
Full Size Quarter Wave Vertical Antenna that I’d bought second hand earlier in
the year, complete with thirty 100 foot long radials.  Along with the Bev-Flex4
reversible beverages I’d put up back in 2020 I was ready to go to town on 80m
and did so with good success.  Had a pretty fantastic run on 3671 from 0422 to
0527.  Then did a lot of 80m Search and Pounce. Great fun!

When I packed it in for the night at 0626 Z I had 82 sections lacking only NS,
ONN and SDG. (SDG??!!).
Got up Sunday morning and saw the spot for VE1RSM on 20m.  It took a while but
at 1418 Nova Scotia was in the log. Where were the other VE1’s?

Took a break and went to church.

When I got back I saw that VE3RX had been spotted.  He was working a HUGE pile
(was he the only ONN that got on to any degree?)  but I eventually got thru.
That just left San Diego.  How hard should that be??
I pointed the beam out west and started clicking on every 6 land spot that
showed up in the AMQ window hoping I’d get lucky.  A little before 2100 I
found WQ6X but didn’t think anything of it as the Call History Pre-Fill
indicated another California section but almost fell out of my chair when the op
gave his section as San Diego.  He explained that he was actually in Orange
county I think he said but that this year he was running a remote station in
SDG. I’ll take it!   And with that I did a quick “Rescore Current
Contest" in N1MM+ and shut things down.

Or so I thought.  After getting home from church and dinner Sunday night there
was still and hour left in the contest and so I got back on 80m, worked it
pretty much dry and then collected a few on 40 until the closing bell.

Except for a while when I forget to restart QSORDER, all the qsos were recorded
and you should be able to go to my qrz.com page, plug in your callsign, hit Play
and hear what you sounded like here.
Until next time…
73,
Victor – WB0TEV