[3830] SS SSB W1SJ SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1sj@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W1SJ SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 07:02:52 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: W1SJ
Operator(s): W1SJ
Station: W1SJ

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 24
OpMode: SO2R

Club: Radio Amateurs of Northern Vermont

Comments:

I’ve never worked so hard for the lowest SS score I’ve ever amassed in 50+
years. I had a great first hour on 20 meters and was pumped. The next few hours
were pretty good, but the big NE runs on 80 meters never materialized with rates
getting slower and slower until everything went limp at 0700. Even the cluster
went quiet. It is as if everyone ran away. I used to run until 0900, but no
more. On Sunday, it was one lackluster hour after another without any sustained
runs. This year, I set up a pair of K3’s and used a combined 4 VFO’s to run
and chase all afternoon. This was more work, and it helped, but not enough. The
last hour I resorted to begging, just like every other high scorer. I can’t
say that this was any fun. Sadly, this was a repeat of the CW SS conditions two
weeks ago. Conditions seemed good, but the masses were simply not there. Perhaps
many of the old ops are aging out and limiting their operating or not operating
at all. It might be time to reduce the SS operating time to 20 hours or perhaps
have two operating periods where you can work everyone again. I’m the last one
who cares to mess with tradition, but as we have less ops, it might be time to
make the SS more appealing to more people.