[3830] SS SSB N0KIS Single Op Limited-Ant QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB N0KIS Single Op Limited-Ant QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 19:25:45 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: N0KIS
Operator(s): N0KIS
Station: N0KIS

Class: Single Op QRP
Class Overlay: Limited-Ant
QTH: MO

   80:    3

I used an Icom IC-703+ radio with the Heil Pro Set/HC-5 element.  I operated in
the late afternoon and early evening on both days of the contest.  The antenna
on Saturday was a Doublet, configured as an Inverted-Vee.  The top height of the
antenna was about 25 feet agl.  The element length was 34 feet with a 23 foot
long parallel transmission line and Icom AH-4 ATU.  This antenna worked well on
20m, 15m, & 10m.  It did not work very well on 40m and 80m.  I could hear
quite well on the low bands, but no one seemed to hear me.  On Sunday I changed
the antenna to a 105 foot long Inverted-U.  An Inverted-U is an Inverted-L, but
the yard space isn't long enough to install the antenna in an Inverted-L
configuration, so the end of the wire routes back down toward the ground,
vertically, at the end support mast.  About 20 feet of the wire was routed down
the end support mast.  The top height of the Inverted-U was about 30 feet agl.
The Icom AH-4 ATU could match this antenna on all bands from 160m thru 6m.  This
antenna netted me some 80m and 40m contacts on Sunday, which was great.  It
really turned out to be a nice simple all HF band solution. There were 21
radials at the feedpoint ranging from 15 to 30 feet long.  Good luck to all you
QRP enthusiasts. 72