[3830] SS SSB AE0EE Multi-Op Limited-Ant LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ae0ee@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB AE0EE Multi-Op Limited-Ant LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 04:43:59 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: AE0EE
Operator(s): AE0EE KF0MLJ
Station: AE0EE

Class: Multi-Op LP
Class Overlay: Limited-Ant
QTH: MN

   10:    6

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

100 W, dipoles up 7-10 m.

Having benefited greatly from some contest mentoring during Sweepstakes as a new
ham, I was able to pay that forward a bit this weekend and show Stacy KF0MLJ
some HF operating and contesting for a few hours on Sunday.  The low bands
definitely seemed mushier than usual, and I wasn't really able to get much going
for a run---and even search-and-pounce results weren't what I had hoped.  While
I would have spent a bit more time on 10 meters, I also am trying to optimize
the remaining Volunteers on the Air operating time I have.  With the ARRL 10 m
contest coming up, I figure that will be well-covered later and I needed to
focus on the other bands.

As has sometimes been the case in this contest, the difference between those who
can run and those who can't seemed stark.  Even though I'd hear quite a few very
strong signals on most bands, I either would 1: get through the pileup quickly
or 2: languish in the pileup and be barely readable at the other end, and
regardless, would not be able to get any kind of run going.  I heard several
operators who would do well to ask if the frequency is in use before starting to
CQ.  I know full well that they still can't hear me despite their 10- or 20-over
-S9 signal suggesting that propagation is there, but it would at least be nice
to go through the motions and pretend to listen.  Or, perhaps, if you can't hear
much, you shouldn't be running?  Anyway, yes, the alligators were out in force
this weekend, why do you ask?

Operating assisted was a bit of a difference from my usual single-op low-power
routine.  I generally tend to be more spotting than pouncing (someone needs to
spot, particularly on SSB), and that worked well enough given that I couldn't
run.  It was frustrating trying to get Stacy a few contacts and seeing that,
despite having a paltry 120 contacts, the stations we could hear running were
mostly ones I'd worked before.  We did find a few new ones, and Stacy managed to
get through a few pileups and work a few multipliers.

All told, it was a good way to spend a weekend, though I am a bit disappointed
in some of the results.  Having Stacy asking good questions and seeing some of
the intricacies of contest operating was fun, and we'll probably do a few more
multi-operator contests.