[3830] WAE RTTY K1DC(@K1KP) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1dc.radio@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WAE RTTY K1DC(@K1KP) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 21:15:55 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, RTTY - 2023

Call: K1DC
Operator(s): K1DC
Station: K1KP

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 30.75
Remote Operation

   80:   24     0    52
   40:  172   167   153
   20:  182   150   120
   15:  135   270   106
   10:  194   579   108
-------------------------
Total:  707  1166   539  Total Score = 1,009,547

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Wow, what a difference a great station makes!  This year, my second, I was
running Tony Brock-Fisher's wonderful K1KP station.  Thanks, Tony!

If there ever was a question on the three most important aspects of a station,
the answer is 'antennas, Antennas, ANTENNAS!'.  My score from this year is up
10x with no increase in power.  Granted, I have a few more contests under my
belt and I did have 66% more BIC time this year, but by far the greatest factor
was Tony's antenna system.

I did operate mostly S&P; I did have some good runs but wasn't able to keep
the rate up for long.  I'm guessing that LP stations just don't attract enough
attention.  80M was a dead-zone for me; every time I looked the same few and far
between stations were there.  10 and 20M were the money bands for me with 40M
and 15M rounding out the set.

I do have mixed feelings about the QTC aspect.  On one hand I appreciate the
extra challenge (and points!) but on the other I feel the frustration of
watching another OP struggle to get them through.  I have a dent in my forehead
from slamming my head against the keyboard as yet another 'AGN: 1... AGN: 2...
AGN:3... AGN: 4....' scrolled past waiting for my chance to call.  I struggled a
bit on the first day to get N1MM to capture the sent QTCs correctly.  I did
resort to 'ALL AGN' a few times when I lost the first few QTCs and could not
figure out how to 'move down' the ones I did capture to re-enter the early ones.
 If there is anything like a 'secret sauce' to this contest, it is the QTC -
send/recv. them as much as you can!