[3830] JIDX SSB K3EST(@N6RO) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bobk3est@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] JIDX SSB K3EST(@N6RO) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 22:55:44 +0000
                    JIDX Contest, Phone - 2023

Call: K3EST
Operator(s): K3EST KK6PXT N6RO WX5S
Station: N6RO

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 30
Remote Operation

  160:    2     2
   80:   46    26
   40:  515    47
   20:   80    32
   15:  305    46
   10:  185    42
-------------------
Total: 1133   196  Total Score = 268,520

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

We went into the contest looking at the dire predictions by NOAA and others for
the CME to arrive with multiple G storms. To our surprise the condx never
reflected any disturbance that was detectable. Nice to have the predictors
wrong! Condx on all bands were good, 10, 15 and 40 were open for many hours. The
only possible effect was 10 and 15 closed a little earlier than the previous
week to JA. We enjoyed the M2 category with 3 ops on site and 1 remote. The only
downside was a significant line noise which hampered copying weak signals. With
increasing condx many JAs stayed on the high bands to work Europe after the
bands closed for us. This obviously impacted 20 to 80 JA activity. Thanks to
Ken, N6RO for Saturday dinner and the FB station. All worked well.

160/80: Ken, N6RO. The first morning, 80m prop was nominal, but well down from
WW SSB condx.  Plagued by line noise and the Communist Radar/woodpecker, which
made the upper window unusable.  Had many callers that I couldn't pull out of
the noise. One JA moved me to 160m, nil from hours of CQs.
Second morning, the Prop on 80m slightly down from Sat., but line noise was
down. T-storm noise from the approaching storm off the PNW coast was up.
Activity was pitiful both nights, but managed five times last year’s total.
Got one more JA on a CQ on 160m.

40: First night Matt, WX5S: Cndx on 40 were normal the first night although the
first JA was delayed by 15 min from the last few years.  It is a shame that
there isn't more activity although obviously all of the mainland prefectures
were on because we worked 'em!. There was minimal spotting, although JE1CKA did
spot us on 40 and 80m.
      Second night Bob, K3EST. The band opened well about 08z and stayed
constant Qs until the contest end. The signals were good and the band noise was
very good so weak ones made it, Still lost many Qs due to JA low power and
probably low antennas. You could tell there was a pile-up of S2 stations
calling. Still many made it into the log. At the end, we worked all 47 mainland
prefectures on 40!

20: Greg, KK6PXT: Conditions on 20 were better than expected, yet JA were mostly
not there due to the JA 10 and 15 activity. JA stations reported that we were
strong, 20 over, while the band was open and we had armchair copy from our side.
Put the new K4 into operation very pleased. Made 70+ contacts, enjoyed the
operation time.

15: Matt, WX5S: Main issue on 15m was S4-5 line noise. This made copying
difficult at the beginning of the opening. Cndx on 15 did seem to improve as the
opening progressed.  Overall, this was a fun event.

10: Bob, K3EST: The band opened right at JA sunrise. Signals were mostly weak.
The band remained good until about 01z. The S5 line noise made copy difficult
but the K3 NB and RF manipulation helped pull them out.