[3830] SS CW NJ8J Single Op Limited-Ant LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nj8j@benshome.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW NJ8J Single Op Limited-Ant LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 06:07:52 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2023

Call: NJ8J
Operator(s): NJ8J
Station: NJ8J

Class: Single Op LP
Class Overlay: Limited-Ant
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 7:03

   80:    6

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Icom IC-7300
LDG AT-200Pro II Automatic Antenna tuner
120 ft OCF doublet fed with ladder-line
10 Meter Half-Square
Logger: N1MM+

I got on for a few hours Saturday.  I got on 10m first, hoping for a repeat of
the previous weekend's propagation.  I heard plenty of activity on 10, but I had
a hard time getting heard, so I ended up moving down to 15, where I seemed to be
heard better.  I spent the evening S&Ping on alternating bands, eventually
getting down to 40 at 0152.  40 ended up being my best band.  I tried moving to
80 about 0402, but the band was noisy with not much activity.  I moved back to
40 for the rest of the evening and quit at 0546.

I didn't have much choice about ending.  During CQWW Phone, I had problems with
the doublet, with erratic SWR.  During the week, I tried to fix it.  Since there
was a possibility that my balun was sparking, I tied together both sides of the
ladder-line and fed it with a 9-to-1 unun I had sitting around for eventually
trying out a EFRW.  It seemed to work, but when I started a run at about 0531,
it lasted about 15 minutes and then SWR would increase while I was calling CQ.
I suspect the increased load on the antenna while running heated up the unun.

I tuckered out Sunday so I didn't get on the air.

When I opened up N1MM+ today to submit my log, I noticed that I was seeing A 98
GA in the exchange instead of my usual A 75 GA.  With my typing affected by my
left hand, I'm assuming that I managed to flub setting up N1MM+, and didn't
notice the keyer sending 98 instead of 75, so I sent it in with the 98.  I'm not
sure what I'll do if I was sending 75 and the exchange was modified somehow when
I opened N1MM+ today.