[3830] SS CW N1CFO SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW N1CFO SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2023 20:29:36 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2023

Call: N1CFO
Operator(s): N1CFO
Station: N1CFO

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Burlington, VT
Operating Time (hrs): 17:42
OpMode: SO2R

   10:    2

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I had been preparing for the 2023 CW Sweepstakes for a couple months, working on
increasing my copy speed, setting up equipment to run SO2R, and setting up a new
antenna a few days before.

I’m new to SO2R, so this was my first real contest using two radios. I had
only done SO2R three times before the Sweepstakes: in the SST, MST and CWT the
week before. Everything was working great. The only limitation was my novice
SO2R skills!

I also knew I should test everything shortly before the contest to make sure
everything was working, although it seemed unnecessary, since I had just been
using one of the rigs that morning.

So about an hour before the start, I tested my gear. And I found that when I
used N1MM to do any sending, it would send once, and then I couldn’t send
anything else! Arrgh!! Both rigs behaved the same: the transmit indicator stayed
on after sending. So N1MM thought the rig was still transmitting (even though it
was not) and therefore wouldn’t send.

I spent two hours working on it, but couldn’t figure it out… I even switched
settings back to just one rig, and still had the same problem. I left the shack,
racking my brain. I went back down to the shack a couple times with ideas, but
still no luck. I was just about to give up, but a little later tried a third
time, and suddenly it was working fine… I have no idea what was wrong.

So I started about three hours late.

I started out on 15 and 20, then 80 and 40 for a few hours. I had the most
success with running on one band, and doing S&P on the second band, but
sometimes I ran dueling CQs. Things got really slow Sunday in the early evening,
so I eventually decided to finish early after 17:42 of operating time.

I managed to get a clean sweep, with SB and TER taking the longest to get into
the log. TER took several tries on each piece of the exchange!

It was lots of fun, and I’m looking forward to next year.