[3830] SS CW K7RAT(N6TR) Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K7RAT(N6TR) Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2023 16:20:09 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2023

Call: K7RAT
Operator(s): N6TR
Station: K7RAT

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: OR

   80:    5
   10:    1

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

So - after a few hours away from the contest, decided to dust off the K2 which
has been sitting quietly on the shelf for many years.  It only gets used for
field antenna testing (thanks to the internal battery).  Hooked up four cables
to it (Power, Antenna, CW key and headphones) and spent a few hours seeing who
could hear me.  Deciding to do this when conditions were tough wasn't my best
choice.  However, things seemed to improve as the contest went on and I was even
able to run guys on 40M in the last couple of hours - thanks to my 4L OWA beam
at 97 feet.

I am left feeling that my Q powered QSOs should be worth more to the big guns
than the B powered ones.  They have to work harder for them.  Some gave up.

First time using the K2 in a serious QRM contest - and it actually performed
pretty well. I would rank the receiver right up there with an R4C without the
first IF filter.  Had a bit of bleed through with the loud signals - but that
actually served me well as it made finding the big guns easier who would be able
to dig me out.