[3830] SS CW AA5JF SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW AA5JF SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2023 11:10:40 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2023

Call: AA5JF
Operator(s): AA5JF
Station: AA5JF

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: GA

   10:    1

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

My best score so far, up over 15% from last year. My goal this year was to
operate the full 24-hours, and to have an improved Saturday evening. And that I
accomplished. Started off plain-and-simple running on 20M, resisting the siren
call of high rates on 10M (if you are in the Caribbean or the West). Did move to
15M later, and found excellent conditions, with signals being heard from all
over. Didn't think 1,000 contacts was in reach, and hand't set it as a goal, but
noticed by mid evening Saturday it might happen. Final section was NL, just
before the solar storm -- thanks VO2AC for being up late!

Got up way too early Sunday to find conditions horrid, although 80M was OK, but
most everyone was still asleep. But as is sometimes the case when conditions are
poor, it affects us less in the southern latitudes. 40M was recovered by early
morning, and 20M wasn't too bad. And during the afternoon 15M was good again,
with strong signals arriving from the midwest and west, and the possibility of
working some stations in the South on backscatter. There was E-skip (I think),
which opened up the band to the northeast, although not revealing many new
stations. But kept it just interesting enough to keep on going. And the final
hour of frenzy on 40M was fun.

Just 149 out of 950 stations had a check after mine (87), assuming 00-22 are all
21st century. SS CW will likely be quite different when I'm an old-timer.

Andy AA5JF