[3830] SS CW W1NN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W1NN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2023 08:22:21 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2023

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 20
Remote Operation

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

The sad news about VO1MP hit just a few days before this year's contest.  He was
probably looking forward to the contest as most serious NA contesters do in the
weeks before SS CW.  RIP and thanks for all the contacts over the years.

I operated my station in Ohio remotely from Tokyo. Japan is 14 hours ahead of
EST, so for me, the contest begins at 6AM Sunday morning and ends at noon
Monday.

The 6AM start time is nice because you can start the contest fresh.  But it's a
mixed blessing.  After 9 or 10 hours when the bands die and you need to take a
nap, it's only 4 PM in the afternoon your time and you're not sleepy. So you
spend three hours trying to get some sleep (unsuccessfully in my case).  At 8 PM
local (11Z) it's time to get back on the air.  After an hour or two you finally
start getting sleepy but you still have the bulk of the contest to operate over
Sunday night/Monday morning (if you're serious about your score).  That's when
it gets painful.  And if you have things to do on Monday, you need to get some
sleep. In my case, I had some things I had to do on Monday, so I had to get some
real sleep Sunday night.

On the positive side, the station performed quite well aside from some mild
stuttering from the Internet during the first few hours.  Often it seems that at
least one antenna decides not to work but this year the equipment was fine.
Conditions were good with lots of short skip and plentiful multipliers (except
for SB!).  Judging from my 80 meter Q total, local activity was down, although
lots of ops probably skipped the low bands this year in favor of 10 and 15. In
the past I have had over 600 contacts on 80, but this year the band was not very
useful.

My first SS was in 1958.  Who could have imagined the things we do in SS 2023?

The station:  A single K3 in Ohio controlled by a K30/mini here in Tokyo and
connected with the RemoteRig boxes.  Antennas are dipoles for 80, 40 and 20 at
40-50 feet.  The 40 dipole is used for 15 and the 20 is used for 10.

CU next year (I hope).

73, Hal W1NN