[3830] CQWW SSB OM7K(OM7RU) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, om7ru@qsl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB OM7K(OM7RU) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2023 22:18:31 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: OM7K
Operator(s): OM7RU
Station: OM7RU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: JN98OQ
Operating Time (hrs): 42:11
OpMode: SO2R

  160:  167     6       35
   80:  447     8       55
   40:  868    28       90
   20:  420    24       74
   15:  587    26       82
   10:  520    28       95
------------------------------

I expected good conditions and already opened high bands. It was true, but only
partially.

I had a lot of time to check the station settings on Friday. It was good to
solve few minor problems. But it was bad, because every small change had
influence to another one or more others, hi. But generally, station worked fine
and was stable all the time.

I started on 40m, but just 3 QSOs during first 15 minutes... There was
completely different world after QSY to 80m. Almost 2 hours of nice pileup, with
peak of 371 QSO/hour. 40m was poor during first night. High bands was opened,
but pileups was rare, except good afternoon on 15m on Saturday. But I was
seriously tired, so I had to go to sleep too early on Saturday evening and
missed NA opening on 40m. I hoped in better Sunday, but it was worse than day
before. There was more valuable to S&P instead of SO2R (CQ + S&P on
radio2).

One fact is starting to be considerably significant. It's massive loss of
stations, which are walking through the band. More and more stations are
assisted, and are making S&P only by clicking to spots. The bands were
closed often during my CQ. Then started to be opened suddenly. It was like
kicking the door down. Rate jumped from 30-40 Q/H to 250-300 Q/H during 2-3
minutes. The trigger was always the cluster spot. No chance to make QSO without
cluster spot. I heard a lot of askings for spotting the station. Now I know
why.
I'm not fan of selfspotting, but I started to understand, why it starting to be
accepted in more and more contests, especially SSB. It's true, that CW and RTTY
are the modes with tens of robots, which are producing plenty of spots of every
station independently on category and 24/7. But SSB not (yet). So selfspotting
looks like the only way how to increase the band activity back to "non
RBN" era. I think, that a lot of stations already dealt with this their own
way...

The second problem is degrading of bands, especially 40m, by various strange
signals and DQRM, not rarely strong and wide. I hope in solving it by our
representatives.

Thanks to every active contester, see you in CW!

Used equipments:
 Kenwood TS-590SG
 Yaesu FT-1000MP MarkV Field
 OM Power 3500A
 ACOM 2000A
 microHAMs: MK2R+, 2x Station Master, doubleTEN, ARCO
 2x OM Power OM6BPF
 DXLog

Antennas:
 160m: Half Sloper