[3830] CQWW SSB AT3K M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB AT3K M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 04:26:14 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: AT3K
Operator(s): VU2SBJ VU2XE VU2VTI
Station: AT3K

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: SURATKAL

   40:   79    13       42
   20:  227    18       72
   15:  378    19       72
   10:  816    19       86
------------------------------

Club: VU Contest Group

Comments:

VU2SBJ Sri took a lead this time to get AT3K call sign we had used for CQWPX.
Team was restricted to few hams only. Main tower and tribander project which was
supposed to be completed long before did not complete due to structural safety
concerns by college administration. While alternate arrangement is getting made,
this SSB contest relied on Spiderbeam antenna at 55feet and a hexbeam at 33feet
level. For 40m, we had Halfsquare wire antenna and a beverage to Europe.

During the test, it was realized that rotator of Spiderbeam is stuck to EU and
had control cable issues. We kept it fixed to that direction whole contest.
Hexbeam was barely used as observed gain was much lower to higher spiderbeam.
VU2XE reached on Friday morning and VU2SBJ who came to site friday evening to
complete the shack network and test all other aspects such as filters. We only
had two operating positions. Op1. TS590 with W6PQL amp (set to VU limit) and Op2
TS590 with Furono marine amp (200Watts).

For the first day, 10m was good here and 15m was much of a drag not yielding
more than 50Qs for some reason even with lot of CQs. But for second day, both
bands were bit more alive. Surprisingly 20m condition was not good throughout
day time for us and when it opened, we got local lightening storms which brought
our operations to halt for few hours at only prime times for 20m. But we figured
that no more than one band was much yielding any point during 48hrs. Our 90m
long beverage worked like charm, otherwise noisy 40m band came to life when
switching RX to that. Last contest, we could not use beverage due to not having
RX BPF, which was resolved this time with a simple Pi RX filter on 40.

VU2VTI visited the second day for couple of hrs and contributed nearly 100Qs on
10 and 15mtrs. College team led by CSD Asst.Prof Dr.Pruthviraj under guidance of
Prof. Dr. Gangadharan (VU2TAO) is instrumental in  this station concept and we
thank them and entire staff for their support on both days. Even with many
challenges, they are going out of the way to help ham community and building
this station for the upcoming education projects and social good.

Overall, this was a good contest in expectation of Cycle25 peak. Thank you for
Qs with us.
VU2XE with VU2SBJ for AT3K