[3830] CQWW SSB N2FT SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, stephenpjohnsonsr@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N2FT SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 22:59:52 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: N2FT
Operator(s): N2FT
Station: N2FT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: fm18hv

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    0     0        0
   40:   80    10       31
   20:  156    14       48
   15:  205    17       64
   10:   59    13       32
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I operated from my Home Owner Association(HOA)-controlled yard using my new
temporary/portable tri-band parasitic vertical array.  It features a tri-band
fan vertical driver using aluminum tubing and N6BT's wonderful open ring
counterpoise, and three parasitic reflectors. It took me a couple months to
build it: obtaining retired aluminum antenna to reuse from some generous and
helpful fellow PVRC members, modelling and building the array, and finally
getting an antenna analyzer due to delayed shipment. The result of all this is
that I finally tuned the array the day of the contest, which was unfortunate
since this op was stressed out and exhausted two hours before the contest even
started. I wanted to work (assisted), but I didn't have the energy to configure
that.  I also put up a temporary 40m vertical an hour before the test in my only
tree, which was a marvelous sap boiler until I got it spaced farther from the
trunk on Saturday morning. Now it's a sap warmer (LOL). Friday evening was a
disappointment for me since by 0000 UTC, 20/15/10 seemed closed to Europe and I
can't work much South America due to a very steep upslope to the south in my
backyard. It was an opportunity to call it an early night.  Overall, I'm happy
with how my little temporary array performed. I was surprised that so many
people had a big time on 10, I worked some Europeans and Caribbean stations;
maybe since my ground mounted verticals can't see South America from the
backyard, I missed out on alot of the excitement. It was still a great time and
my best results in an SSB contest from this QTH.