[3830] CQWW SSB N8II SOSB10 Classic LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, HARTLEY145@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N8II SOSB10 Classic LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 21:00:59 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB10 LP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: WV

   10:  830    28      112
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Things were looking good after day 1, about 670 Q's and 96 or so countries. I
had some fast as you can go runs above 28800 KHz! The 14Z hour produced 186 Q's.
All of EU was workable but the Russians were few and weaker than many October
days. But
ole sol had be the boss and spew out disturbing particles to spoil our fun
Sunday (K index hit 5, never below 4). There were plenty of loud signals from
EU, but the great majority were already logged and nothing heard really north of
the Alps. Try as I might, it was semi torture with only about 110 Q's added 12Z
through 1630Z. I heard zone 37 (ET3AA and 7Q6), heard 3 HZ's, A44A, A71WW. The
low point of the misery was A44A peaking S9+10db and CQ'ing in my face. I wasn't
the only one he wasn't hearing; I suspect QRM, but there was no attempt to move
a little. I barely managed to get 4L8A to hear me for zone 21. I expected
nothing out of JA Sunday evening, but there were some very readable JA's who
were easy to work worth 8 Q's. I never heard zones 1,2,17,18,19,22,23,24,29, or
34. No FR from zone 39 but found TO7K.

The highlight of the weekend around 2230Z Saturday hearing YE9BJM peaking 20 db
over 9 as the band had suddenly opened well to JA. One call and in the log; he
said I was his first zone 5. Despite some loud JA's in the next 40 minutes,
there just were not that many of them. A handful at most answered my CQ's. Late
Saturday afternoon through 2320Z there was an impressive South Pacific opening
logging YJ0, then within 8 minutes at 2222Z: T2C, FW1JG, 5W5W, ZL7IO, and ZL1!

Day 1 was fun, day 2 frustrating for sure, but at least there a decent number of
loud signals. Thanks to all for the QSO's and several for extra effort to pull
my LP through.

73, Jeff