[3830] CQWW SSB 4G1G SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4gn@n4gn.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB 4G1G SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 12:29:44 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: 4G1G
Operator(s): 4G1G
Station: 4G1G

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   40:    9     3        5
   20:   14     7       10
   15:   68    11       20
   10:   75    18       28
------------------------------

Man, it sucks being weak. Especially when you're thousands of miles away from
Europe and the US. And especially on phone. Turns out an end-fed wire hanging
from the roof is basically a cheap dummy load. Never doing that again! Stations
that were literally 20 or 30 over S9 just CQed in my face all weekend. Only the
best ops at the very best stations were able to dig my puny signal out of the
noise.

The good news is that I worked over 300 JAs in just over two hours at one point
on Saturday. Amazing 150+ sustained rate! The bad news is that was on 6 meters.
LOL! I also had a solid run of Ukrainians on six Sunday.

Meanwhile, back in the contest, I just repeatedly banged my head on the desk as
I tried to work anything. Thank God for the abundance of BY and YB stations that
have come on the air in recent years.

I heard exactly one station each in zone 5 (K1LZ), zone 8 (6Y1V), zone 9 (HK1T),
zone 7 (V31XX). No chance of a QSO with any of them. I  worked exactly one stn
in the US on 15 (thanks to N7DX for the double mult right at the end!) and one
single QSO total from zone 4 (N2IC on 10). I worked, I think, 4 stns in zone 3
on 10.

The good news is that my new contest QTH should be amazing when I get the towers
up, and everything on the air. I will be at least 40 dB louder. It was good to
get a baseline feel for what the bands sound like here.

Back in the day, when I used to operate regularly from VS6WO, we feasted on that
4th layer of JAs--the guys with 100 W and a balcony antenna. Not as many JA
these days, but now we have layers of BY and YB, and quite a few 9M and HS to go
with it. I obviously only worked the first layer this time (the big guns).
Actually, they did all the work in putting me in the log.

We met already this morning, right after the contest, with the architect who is
going to design and build the new ham shack next to the farm house we just
bought. The next year should be fun. Louder days ahead!

73,
Tim, 4G1G (N4GN)