[3830] IlQP W9YES Portable LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, david_timm@live.com
Subject: [3830] IlQP W9YES Portable LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 04:01:59 +0000
                    Illinois QSO Party - 2023

Call: W9YES
Operator(s): W9YES
Station: W9YES

Class: Portable LP
QTH: Woodford County
Operating Time (hrs): 2.5

   40:               7
   20:
   15:               2
   10:               2
------------------------
Total:     0        11  Mults = 12  Total Score = 132

Operating in this contest was a last minute idea, and I could have been a little
more prepared for it. This was my first time operating SSB in nearly three
years. I operated portable from Woodford Count in Lincoln Douglas Park in
Metamora, IL using a Diamond BB7V vertical antenna and my Kenwood TS-450SAT.

I couldn't find a spot to run on 20m due to all of the POTA and net people, but
I was able to have to make some contacts on 10m and 15m, and then have a short
run on 40m. Right as I thought things were picking up for me, somebody asked if
the frequency I was on was in use, and didn't hear any of my replies to them. I
found a few other people calling QC for the contest on both 20m and 40m, and
none of them could hear me either. At this point, I decided to call it for the
contest and drive back to Peoria to go to an event some friends invited me to.

Things could have gone better, I could have been more prepared, I could have
been on time, and I could have tried to operate longer. That said, I'm still
happy I got on the air at all. Making 11 contacts in 2.5 hours is better than
making none. Thank you to the people who had some patience with me during our
contacts.