[3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@groups.io
Subject: [3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 16:39:33 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Pre-Stew

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EM89ps Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 8
OpMode: SO2R

Total:  QSOs = 257  Total Score = 671

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Over the summer I had to rebuild 3 more umbrella verticals because of
various accidents, 2 of which are of mysterious origin.  I also
refurbished the ground system for the transmit antenna by replacing
the ring made of 8 copper pipes and 45-degree couplers with a #6 wire
like I use for the umbrella antennas and resoldering all 75 of the
radials.  Since I plan to dig a hole in the middle of this ring for a
future pier, I made the ring fairly large.  Hopefully the now solid
ring will eliminate some of the noise while transmitting that has been
increasing the past couple of years.

Started operating around 2100Z expecting to work the early birds and
then take a break after working them all.  But the rate continued at
the nominal pace one would expect 2 hours before sunset.  I kept the
power low while CQing mostly out of habit.  While tuning the second
receiver, I heard F6AGM who then answered my call, right at my 2250Z
sunset.  An hour later G3SYM called and 45 minutes after that G4AMT
called.  No other Europeans were heard early and everything to the
east was weaker than normal.

Around 0140Z I heard PA5KT CQing.  He was also very weak, so I cranked
the power to 1500 watts and called.  Unfortunately, many red LEDs
appeared and noise flooded the P3 on the spotting radio.  After a few
minutes trying to find a compromise with the malfunction, high SWR
seemed to be permanent.

I hooked up the VNA in TDR mode and observed that the feedline had a
nice, flat impedance out to about 650 feet of the 800 feet total.  650
feet would be the location of the splice connector that joins the 2
pieces of 750 mil cable TV hardline.  In the past, this connector has
exhibited flakiness requiring a trip into the woods with a couple of
wrenches.  However, it had been raining and I was not motivated for an
evening walk in the woods.

After about 90 minutes of screwing around I tried transmitting again
and found that I could operate for a few minutes at a time until heat
apparently caused the malfunction to resume.  I set the power down to
200 watts.  I spent a while searching and pouncing which reduces the
amount of transmitting.  Nevertheless, the flakiness would return
after an operating spell.  So, operate then take a break.

Found PA5KT again at 0523Z and called him at full power, which
amazingly worked for the duration of that 1 long contact.  The only
other Eu was G3OQT at 0612Z.  Worked just a few Caribbeans and HQ9R in
Central America.  Never heard PJ2T because Jeff probably couldn't hear
me at only 200 watts.

Stopped at 0615Z and returned at 1100Z.  Initially the flakiness was
present but a burst of full power seemed to fix the connection.
Pounced for a while then started CQing at 200 watts.  I was surprised
to be called by VK6GX at 1124Z.  His 37 points roughly equals all the
other QSO points for the entire morning.

I'm guessing that feedline adventures cost about 50 QSOs which
combined with the 257 other QSOs would be about 70 QSOs less than last
year.  Also I am now thinking that my increasing transmit noise
problem is not the antenna.

DX worked: 8P, F, G (3), HR, KP2, PA, VK, and ZF for a total of 8
entities.

Equipment: K3S/100, P3, Alpha 8410, K3/100, P3, homebrew SO2R stuff, 3
phased array / SDR receiving systems, 12 Beverages, 'tee' antenna 60
feet tall over 75 radials.