[3830] NyQP W2LC SO MobileCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, W2LC@twcny.rr.com
Subject: [3830] NyQP W2LC SO MobileCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:58:35 +0000
                    New York QSO Party - 2023

Call: W2LC
Operator(s): W2LC
Station: W2LC

Class: SO MobileCW LP
QTH: various ctys
Operating Time (hrs): 7.5

  160:    0     0       0
   80:  116     0       0
   40:   72     0       0
   20:  229     0       0
   15:  109     0       0
   10:    6     0       0
    6:    0     0       0
    2:    0     0       0
  222:    0     0       0
  432:    0     0       0
----------------------------
Total:  532     0       0  Mults = 65  Total Score = 69,160

Club: GKCC

Comments:

I was going to operate from home but my neighbors were having their wedding
reception at their house across and down the street, about 400 feet away.  I
envisioned an angry mob coming over to complain about RFI into the sound system.
So, I decided to go mobile and avoid any possible RFI issues even if RFI
wasn’t that likely. I didn’t want to be that ham guy blowing away the sound
system at their reception.

It was a choice between the north country or more local counties. The local
county route won.  The north country is a really nice scenic drive but so many
miles if you go all the way to Clinton County. Maybe next year!

I soon found out that the county lines are not marked all that well especially
on the back roads. Also, not many places to park that actually put you on the
county line.  Not ones that are easy to find anyway. More planning was required
no doubt. So, it was mostly one county at a time.

I found some good high clear spots with a low noise level to operate from.  I
operated mostly around the Montezuma swamp area where there are plenty of
parking areas for viewing the Montezuma swamp wildlife refuge.  I was also
operated near the northern end of Cayuga and Seneca Lakes.   I operated from
ONO, OSW, WAY, SEN, CAY.  I planned on SCU, STE and TOM but I decided not to
loop around Seneca Lake..  Sure gets cold and windy around here!

TS-590 works nice mobile
Manual band switching
Hustler KW mobile resonators for 20, 15, 10. These work well and are fairly
broad band
Hamsticks for 40 and 80, the 80 one is modified to reach the CW band
Mag mount with 4 short radials taped to the car

Thanks for all the QSOs.  73 Scott W2LC