[3830] CaQP N6A M/S CntyExp LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dwest24@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP N6A M/S CntyExp LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2023 01:42:17 +0000
                    California QSO Party - 2023

Call: N6A
Operator(s): KO6M W6JFA
Station: N6A

Class: M/S LP
Class Overlay: CntyExp
QTH: ALPI

   40:          12
   20:          91
   15:         157
   10:         118
--------------------
Total:   0     378  Mults = 53  Total Score = 39,362

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This has become our yearly off-roading and radioing adventure.  We head out
Highway 4 and find ourselves on top of Mt. Reba.  In the past couple of years we
have been playing, learning, and just getting out.  In the previous years we
never really found our footing.

Fast forward to this year.  It starts a couple of months ago when W6JFA found
out about an antenna that no one knew anything about but it was free if we took
it down.  We trekked to go get it with the intention of using it for CA QSO
Party.  Turns out is was a C4S-XL, rotator, and small tower and the whole kit
and kaboodle was smooth as butter on the air.  Props to W6JFA for insisting we
get it.  He made it portable worthy by drilling out rivets, adding cotter pins,
and new bolts as needed.  He even got a rotator controller for it.

We planned on M2 but in the end went MS for various reasons and are extremely
happy with that choice.  Since it meant no getting in each others way. We shared
the airtime almost perfectly.  10 and 15 were our sweet spots where we could
always find a run frequency.  Conditions were great on those, DX galore, US
galore.  20 was always tough for us to get traction in and thus we concentrated
on it less.  40 was even worse (probably because we went to 40 late).  80 and
160 were skipped in favor of getting out of the cold wind that was relentless.
Plus our battery levels were low and N1MM was giving us errors left and right.

Sunday was a brief time on the air but since it was still brutally windy and
N1MM was not cooperating we cut the time short. It seemed that 20M conditions
hadn't quite opened up when were on. 10 and 15 of course were wonderful. (I
think 10 and 15 are my favorite right now, they were just so lively and
lovely.)

We went with expectations and they were crushed.  We had a blast, the kids had a
blast even if we couldn't get them on the air, and we look forward to the next
time.

73!

Flex 6400
C4S-XL
N1MM
several deep cycle batteries and a solar farm for power