[3830] CQ WW RTTY NP4Z M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w3mlj@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY NP4Z M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 03:19:31 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY - 2023

Call: NP4Z
Operator(s): KC1KUG N4FUR N4XTT S56NE W0AAE W3MLJ W4IPC WT5A NP4Z
Station: NP4Z

Class: M/S HP
QTH: PR
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Remote Operation

   80:  148       32      35    10
   40:  510       53      71    23
   20:  793       53      88    30
   15:  842       54      90    29
   10:  961       52      93    28
------------------------------------
Total: 3254      244     377   120  Total Score = 6,165,120

Club: 2/9 YCCC

Comments:

Really, I don’t know how we kept our sanity over the weekend. We went from a
fully functioning M/2 setup to a M/S with a 100w mult radio in the course of an
hour.

First of all, I would like to extend a huge thank you to Felipe for his endless
support and hours of station preparation. In addition to Felipe, I want to take
this opportunity to thank Ron, NJ4P, for his Flex knowledge and his willingness
to share it with us.

During the two weeks leading up to the contest, we had to create a winning M/2
station with only one computer. Through tireless hours of configuring virtual
machines, working around the HUGE FlexRadio issues, and testing out setup, we
managed to build 4 fully functional operating positions. After testing for
countless hours, it worked without a hitch. That was until the day of the
contest, where all three of the Flex control programs AND the second PGXL
decided to break… for good. After a brief chat with the ops, we decided it
would be best to go M/S since we were out an amp. With the swift help of Felipe
and Michael, we set the run radio up on his main PC, and the mult station was on
another networked laptop.

Once we finally had the M/S configuration working, we were off to the races. All
the operators logged in, and since we had a perfectly good setup for the entire
week before the contest, the operators were already familiar with the station
inside and out. With only 45 minutes until the contest, we relentlessly stress
tested the station to ensure its fidelity. By the time we were ready to go, it
was contest time.

Even though we had a rough start, the operators kept their heads up high and
pushed through. Eventually we got in our grooves, and it really showed. After
the first hour, we were only in 19th place on the scoreboard. The wild gap
between us and XM3X shrunk dramatically until we passed them on Saturday night.
Felipe did a great job of making sure we were all going full steam ahead with
both radios, by filling in stray breaks and sending encouraging messages in our
group chat. He is very wise when it comes to propagation and operating
technique, so we really couldn’t have done it without his support.

This was also a huge opportunity for our up-and-coming contesters, WT5A and
N4XTT. Not only was this their first experience from the Caribbean, but their
first serious multi-op. I want to add that they were two of our three anchor
ops, and did incredibly well, and put in huge hours. Our other anchor op was
Nejc, S56NE, who is only 14. He put in over 30 hours into the contest, which was
a HUGE help. Thank you!

Not bad for a couple of kids, eh?

Bray, KP4/KC1KUG and Michael, KP4/W3MLJ