[3830] CQ WW RTTY ON3DI SOSB80 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY ON3DI SOSB80 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 18:08:37 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY - 2023

Call: ON3DI
Operator(s): ON3DI
Station: ON3DI

Class: SOSB80 QRP
QTH:

   80:  283       3      44    6
-----------------------------------
Total:  283       3      44    6  Total Score = 28,100

Hi

Was only the first RTTY operation of this year, missed due to work WPX RTTY. Two
days before this one I received my plaque of last years win. Plan was simple,
defend my titel, going for 80m QRP once again.

Honestly this contest isn't ideal for my planning and work, but was motivated.
Anyway days before the contest my dad discovered that the antenna was broken. We
had to replace the balun, thank god we had one in spare!
The first hour of the contest was ok with 32 qso's and had some other hours with
22 or 25 qso's, but rest of the contest was really slow. ALready on
Saturdaymorning I knew that 300 qso's would be impossible. I was 30 qso's behind
the log of last year and 30 qso's is a lot, definitly in a contest were the
Sundayevening is always slow.
The first night I haven't heard much DX. Always hapy to work CR3DX again, USA
was weak, made me  bit worried.
Could call a lot CQ and had respons, last year band was full from 3550 until
3615, not this year, the ft8 frequencies were a barrier, bit pitty. OM's
preferred to battle for a to filled bandpart....
The night of Saturday to Sunday, I was affraid a G-storm would hit, but
conditions were better this night, it kept me motivated to keep going and it
payed off. I worked K1LZ as first USA station. He was strong and finally easy to
work, happy! Worked two others and contest was saved on that part!
Sundayevening was the struggle; you doubt if you want to keep going, answer was
yes... at 23:58 YU5R came back to my CQ, multipier, yes indeed the only YT I
worked. Think they are more CW guys ;-).

Once again like every year, big big thanks to DL, 97 to be precise. Without
them... G was also active and more ON then expected. In terms of DXCC and zones
I performed well, just less qso's. Maybe because of other bands were more open,
do'nt know a real reason but year after year my score is going down.
Happy to notice I could do all my shift until the end!
Normally this is the 7th best score all time, very curious if somebody was more
active, will know that soon with the raw scores.

Thanks to M3AWD, PE1PIX, PA3DTR, HB9TZU, DK1IP for the spots!

Next contest, CQ WW CW, will be all band!

ft897, 5w, dipole!

Pieter ON3DI