[3830] CQ WW RTTY VK9LAA M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY VK9LAA M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 06:07:22 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY - 2023

Call: VK9LAA
Operator(s): K7AR W7YAQ
Station: VK9LAA

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Lord Howe Island

   80:    0        0       0     0
   40:  161       20      24    17
   20:  588       34      62    26
   15:  431       28      49    24
   10:  244       20      13    13
------------------------------------
Total: 1424      102     148    80  Total Score = 1,374,450

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Lord Howe Island is a spectacularly beautiful and unique island, a World
Heritage site.  We set up a HF9V vertical, a K3 and KPA500, operating from a
work shed at the Beachcomber Lodge.

The QTH has a hill to the N/NE and our low state/province totals demonstrates
the challenge.  We got no traction on 80 in spite of band checks and CQs.  Thank
goodness for the JAs, many of whom were worked on our 4 active bands.  We
rotated through 3 or 4 hour shifts, only pausing to have great kingfish burgers
at local cafes and grabbing some sleep when the rates dropped below 10/hour.

Temperatures were cool enough here at the beginning of spring in this
sub-tropical climate that we kept jackets on the whole time and took hot showers
between some shifts.

The contest was great fun, and there's just nothing like the rush of being at
the DX end of the pileups!

Thanks for the QSOs!  We'll be operating VK9LAA here until October 3.

73,
Al K7AR
Bob W7YAQ