[3830] ARRL Sep VHF VE3CRU/R Rover QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3cru@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF VE3CRU/R Rover QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 23:53:49 +0000
                    ARRL September VHF Contest - 2023

Call: VE3CRU/R
Operator(s): VE3CRU
Station: VE3CRU/R

Class: Rover QRP
QTH: FN03/FN04
Operating Time (hrs): 7.0

    2:   6     2
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:   6     2  Total Score = 24

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

The above score includes 1 multiplier for 3 unique calls in FN04.

I made a last minute decision to run in this contest.  Used the 817 set to
minimum power which happens to be the drive power for the 902, 3456, 5760 and
10G transverters.  Actual power is 400 mw.  Started in FN04na at 1100 fasl using
a 4 elmt antenna, the back 4 elmts of a CC 4218xl Boomer minus the trigonal
reflector
on an off-vehicle stand, a heavy duty light stand for photography.  No wind so
it never blew over.  I was outside the gate of the Oshawa Gun Club, with the
sharp
crack of shotguns on the skeet range 100 - 200 feet away.  Got qso's with VE3MLM
@ 42 km and VE3IQZ @ 92 km same grid on ssb.

On Sunday I started 6 km south in FN03nx @ 950 fasl and another great view.
Got VE3MLM and VE3IQZ on ssb followed by a cw with VE3EU, very loud and best odx
in EN93 at 108 km.

Conditions were horrible.  Some Americans were heard only once.  The best of
these was W3XTT heard many times.  Never heard any rovers on either side of the
border and I know many from RVHFG were out on the road.  Canadian rovers, ???

It is my hope that many with power limited to QRP  will activate as Rover QRP.

Many thanks to the ARRL for sponsoring and to all who participated, your efforts
are much appreciated.

73,

Bill   VE3CRU/R