[3830] ARRL Sep VHF WB1GQR(W1SJ) Single Op-All Modes LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF WB1GQR(W1SJ) Single Op-All Modes LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 15:44:02 +0000
                    ARRL September VHF Contest - 2023

Call: WB1GQR
Operator(s): W1SJ
Station: WB1GQR

Class: Single Op-All Modes LP
QTH: Vermont

    6:  175    33
    2:  164    25
  222:   41    16
  432:   49    17
  903:   10     8
  1.2:   16    10
  2.3:    8     7
  3.4:    4     4
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  467   120  Total Score = 77,400

Club: Radio Amateurs of Northern Vermont

Comments:

The WX forecast was really bad, calling for rain all weekend, with a lot of
thunderstorms. T-storms on a 3800' mountain are a serious matter. I am happy to
report that the rain was limited to Sunday night and Monday morning, while I was
resting comfortably in the van. Others were not so lucky as I could see the
lighting way off in the distance.

Conditions were pretty flat, consistent with a September contest. I did get a
few in South America, and a few out West, but this was limited. The exodus to
FT8 was very noticeable as the SSB portion of the band often resembled a ghost
town. And with QSO's on FT8, one loses the ability to pass QSO's. Ultimately,
the trick is to pick the right amount of SSB vs. FT8 to maximize both QSO's and
passing to higher value QSO's up the bands. The continuous cloud cover did seem
to put a bit of oomph on the microwaves this time, making this contest a bit
more interesting.